Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"Patrons of the Avant-Garde"



12 x 12"

oil on masonite

sold

I'm going to tell you the truth here - I'd like to keep this painting. I think it's one of my all-time favorites. The space, the individuals, the quietness..... all of it. These patrons were standing in a long line, on the last day of the exhibition titled "Cezanne to Picasso: Ambroise Vollard, Patron of the Avant-Garde", which took place in the Art Institute of Chicago. I included a couple of close-ups of the people, to show you how wonderfully unique we all are.

This new painting will be included in my July show at 16 Patton, in Asheville.

Please click here for a larger view.

6 comments:

Todd Bonita said...

You are on fire, this IS brilliant. I would keep it if I were you. I love the quirky blue shape as a design and compositional element contrasting these characters in line. really well done.

Be good,
Todd

Andy Mathis said...

it's great.
will have to try and get to Asheville in July.

Dean H. said...

Been admiring your work for a loooong time. This painting has broken my silence! The compositional elements are outstanding. As you said, each character is very unique. Congrats on this one!!

Best wishes, Dean

Karin Jurick said...

Thank you all - I am most grateful for the comments. Please come to see the work in Asheville if you can - I'd really love that.

Karen Appleton said...

Thank you for sharing the close ups. I am amazed at how much expression you get with so few brushstrokes. Beautiful!
Karen

Anonymous said...

Phenomenal.