Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Cornucopia"

12 x 12"
oil on masonite
sold

It is a rare thing for me to paint someone I know - honestly, I'm usually traveling alone, so everyone's a stranger. But on this occasion, inside the Smithsonian American Art Museum, I caught a glimpse of my boyfriend underneath the massive mural 'Achelous and Hercules', painted by Thomas Hart Benton - an artist we both have a great affection for. When I was around 15 years old, I convinced my art teacher and the principal of the school to allow me to paint a 50 foot by 2 foot mural in the hallway - depicting American history events. A large portion of it was painted much like Benton - those recognizable, exaggerated figures with vivid colors. It got me out of gym class for three months, which was my intention in the first place.

Please click here for a larger view.



9 comments:

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

Absolutely beautiful. You are an amazing talant. The consistancy of your work is inspiring.

adebanji said...

Great piece!

What did you say you did at 15? Wow! no wonder you have so much energy, good to know a little about your past. I would really love to read a biography about you. I think all artists have interesting lives that should be shared

Alice Thompson said...

I can't believe you were making those kind of negotiations at 15, well done! That size and scope was enormous... I wonder though, is it still there ?
As for this painting your man looks handsome next to that Benton.

JEANNE BAUER said...

AAAAAAA....from here, your man looks like he's handsome no matter where he's standing.....jb

Unknown said...

Wonderful piece! Wonderful story! Bravo!

Karin Jurick said...

To answer, the high school was William Tenant, in Warminster, PA. It was torn down - with condos built in its place. Broke my heart.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

not only are you a formidable painter, you are a clever one as well. I do remember the priviliges
of being an artist in grade school and getting to spend time alone out of class, creating the seasonal art on the "bulletin boards" as they were called then.

Deb Schmit said...

Hi Karin,
I opened your blog tonight and saw this T. Hart Benton. He is also a personal favorite of mine.
For my daily paintings, I've been working on a little series of historical subjects created just from my imagination and without reference material.
They all have that Benton sort of look.
By the way, nice BF!

Paula Villanova said...

A girl after my own heart...a great way to beat gym class!!!