Saturday, November 14, 2009

"The Hunt for Red October"

8 x 8"
oil on masonite
sold

I've been getting used to painting on this orange-red ground. Just like with the black ground, I play with the edges showing slivers of what's beneath, and the red is powerful in that respect. Especially with skin. At the same time, I'm working on a spring show - most of the prep requires thinking too hard and not enought painting. But..... I did my first piece which is a bit larger than my usual - quite frankly, just to see if I could - and I love it. Can't wait for you to see it.

This new piece The Hunt for Red October is a scene from the beaches of Hilton Head Island - a man with a good book and his best friend patiently waiting for some playtime.

Please click here for a larger view.




7 comments:

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

I like this one very much. Those red edges are like a blood infusion. Energizing. Congrats on the show in WA. Love those pieces, too.

Teresa said...

I love this one Karin! The sweet little dog is a nice touch, I can relate to this piece.

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

A great job with the fore shorting. I haven't seen you make a bad painting yet. Do you just toss them?

Kaylyn Munro said...

After a very long haitus from painting, I recently picked up the brushes again and I'm finding that the edges are what I'm most attentive to. Maybe it was that amazing Thiebaud retrospective I saw a few years back?

Nice painting, Karin....again!!

Anonymous said...

Nice piece again, Karin, as usual.

I've been working small for a while now. I plan to get into larger work again soon but I wonder how it will work. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

I like it all, especially the ball.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

no one does this better than you. I drank it in, smelling the salt air!